I sometimes go to obsessive levels to do something I believe in. Regarding environmental conservation, my family members sometimes point it out! Though it does not dampen my spirit and resolve to be ‘green’, I do feel the need to be a ‘smart, easy-to-follow champion’ of Greenness, rather than a ‘compulsive environment enthusiast’, if you understand where I am coming from…!
Now I want to list out all things I do on a day-to-day basis, with a view to promote sustainability…Being a home-maker, let me start from the kitchen and then move on to other activities…
- I regulate tap flow to optimize water use.
- I plug-out most of the appliances in kitchen (and elsewhere also like laptop, tv etc), after their use, and surely at night
- I try to segregate plastic and paper waste from normal household waste, and periodically, dump the collection in the appropriate recycle bins.
- If I have a choice, I pick up food items from departmental store, with basic packaging.
- For shopping, I mostly carry ‘reusable bags’ to minimize use of ‘single-use’ bags.
- Also I do bulk-shopping (weekly, fortnightly, or monthly as the need be) for non-perishables to avoid daily trips, and reduce use of shopping bags and packaging material.
- We use AC in our home only when necessary, otherwise use fans.
- We teach our little one, the importance of saving water and power and recycling waste.
Now, what do you think? Am I ‘Green enough’…obsessive…or can do more?
Thanks for reading!